#SciFri: April project update
Unfortunately at the moment it doesn’t look like I’ll be able complete my fieldwork anytime soon, given the current coronavirus pandemic. This isn’t exactly the fun-filled and action packed update I was planning but things changed very quickly (as I’m sure we’re all aware). We’re all in this together and it’s important we try to reduce the spread of the disease, especially to those who are most vulnerable.
Whilst I am pretty upset, I know I’m not alone and I’ve got plenty to be getting on with. I feel sorry for the Master’s students that are working in a limited time window, who’s plans have gone out the window. I suspect a number of them (across all disciplines) have had to change their projects at the last minute. An outbreak of the plague in Madagascar in late 2017 scuppered my plans to go there to swab frogs for chytrid, so I have some understanding of what it’s like.
Anyways – onto the more positive stuff. Thankfully before everything was shutdown, I was able to complete the bulk of my labwork which means I have some data to analyse. I’ve also refined my capture history from the 2019 field season and so I’ve got that to analyse too (as long as some historic data). So you’ve guessed it! I’m currently busy playing with R in order to figure out what all of my data means and how to best present it. I know this update isn’t too exciting but I thought I’d let you all know what was going on despite the challenging times we are living through. If things lift soon, hopefully I’ll still be able to get out and chase some snakes. If not, it’s not the end of the world.
Are you stuck at home and looking for something to do during the lockdown, then please take a look at this post. Perhaps you can spend some time playing snap with snakes!
If you liked this post and enjoy reading this blog, please consider supporting me on Patreon where you will also gain access to exclusive content.